boudicca

alwaysbooks

A Woman's Diary of the War - Sarah Macnaughtan

The author, a well to do Victorian lady, went to Belgium after joining the Red Cross, but sadly died in 1916 after falling ill. This is an account of what she saw and how she felt during this appalling period of our history. She has witnessed four other campaigns so was quite the veteran. Stalwart attitudes, getting on with stuff with no self pity or cowering in corners. There were descriptions of terrible injuries, of horrible sights and smells, bringing home to the reader that war is awful, that there aren't good times to be had as some of the people at home had imagined. Obviously this isn't an "enjoyable" book in that sense, but it needs to be read - by everyone.