boudicca

alwaysbooks

A Single Thread - Tracy Chevalier

Violet is what was termed as a “surplus woman” when there were so few men left after the devastating First World War. To get away from her overbearing mother she moves a few miles away to the lovely city of Winchester where a whole new world opens up to her. I loved the gentle pace of this book, the work and attention to detail that goes into embroidery in the Cathedral and how bell ringing works. The only real niggle I had was the amount of times the one, truly nasty person crops up whenever Violet was alone which was stretching credibility a bit! Reading this is like taking a step back in time - beautifully descriptive.