boudicca

alwaysbooks

Take It Back - Kia Abdullah

Jodie, a white schoolgirl accuses 4 of her Muslim classmates but who is telling the truth is something Zara (ex barrister, now a counsellor), a Muslim herself has to decide, before involving the police etc. It’s hard to know what to say about this book with the various subjects which arise, which are dark and unsettling. I didn’t like the start of this at all and found it a struggle, then it improved when the main characters appeared. Not easy to feel sympathy for anyone involved in this drama which really is a must in a book such as this plus Zara is particularly hard to like. It was interesting to see things from another perspective though.