boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Woman in the Lake - Nicola Cornick

The story of a couple of women hundreds of years apart and a strange yellow gown binding them together. Naturally there’s a few cads and a hero! Set in Swindon and environs which turned out to be a surprising place and far more interesting than I would’ve imagined. Glimpses into the Georgian lifestyle when it’s Lady Isabella’s turn to give her point of view plus every now and again, her maid, Constance gets to say her piece. I preferred them to Fen (Fenella) who I didn’t find very appealing which isn’t to say the other two women were perfect. This is the sort of book to while away a few hours either on a winter’s eve or basking on a beach.