boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Couple - Sarah Mitchell

One of those books which are good in some parts, but not so good in others. Claire and Angus are newly engaged after meeting 4 months ago buy a house from Mark who reminds her of her university romance which didn’t end well. It veers from now to five years ago. It’s only after getting most of the way through this novel that the relevance of Claire’s job becomes apparent, but that didn’t make it less boring sadly and I skimmed those sections. Anyone wanting to know more about these things could read non fiction, search the web or simply watch or listen to news bulletins. Claire?? What can be said about her? Infuriating, weird and self absorbed spring to mind and you begin to wonder how on earth she got a job like this. None of the other characters were likeable in any way. I did enjoy the way the book was written and it was certainly a story with a difference, even if I didn’t wholly love it!