boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Lying Game: A Novel - Helen Ruth Elizabeth Ware

Three and a half star rating.
Four well to do girls meet at a coastal boarding school immediately forming a clique but they weren't very nice to anyone else - why tell the truth when you can lie? This friendship continues over the next 15 or so years when any can call on the others for help despite the fact they don't actually see each other very much. Out of the blue Kate contacts Thea, Fatima and Isa to cover up the biggest lie of all. Isa is the one telling the story so everything is from her point of view. I liked the descriptions of school life and the locations plus the slow build up with the tension gradually being racketed up but the girls/women's characters hadn't improved much. Easy to read, flowed along nicely and quite gripping in parts.