boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Recipient - Dean Mayes

A heart stopper in more ways than one! Casey is an adventurous girl but comes home from a trip to discover she's picked up something nasty that has badly damaged her heart. After a transplant she has some dreadful nightmares and literally cannot rest, nor will do so, until she finds out why. She doesn't seem to be terribly nice, especially to members of her own family and comes across as being really self-centred, so it's hard to feel any sympathy for her. The first half of the book is a bit on the slow side and only springs to life as she begins to solve the mystery when there is action aplenty. Good style of writing but maybe some bits of it could've been shortened. Loved the cover and I would definitely pick it up for a closer look if it was on a bookshop shelf.