boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Walworth Beauty - Michele Roberts

This is a wonderfully descriptive book in two different times. Joseph in 1851 and Madeleine in 2011. Joseph is researching the life of prostitutes, so spends much of his time walking the streets, trying to get answers. Everything is described so vividly that the reader could be Joseph's shadow - smelling the aromas both pleasant and usually not so pleasant, seeing the sights, hearing the noise of the busy city of London. Then there was Madeleine in 2011 who now lives in the same area and also spends a lot of time walking the streets. She feels and senses things as she wonders around in Joseph's footsteps. This was exactly my sort of book and just wish I could have enjoyed it a bit more than I did, but it was just a little too slow for my tastes and would have liked it more had there been a little less of it!