boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Food of Love - Amanda Prowse

A three and a half star rating.
A normal, happy family or is it? That's what it looks like from the outside. Mum, Freya, dad, Lockie and their two teenagers Charlotte and Lexie. All is going well until Lexie becomes anorexic. A harrowing story with plenty of detail of what happens, what it is like to have share a house with someone suffering from this illness. The reader almost feels they are living there too as there is so much information about what goes on. I realise we are meant to sympathise with everyone but this family was really annoying - so many pages where one of them was "shouting" (even before their troubles began), "yelling", "screaming", "screeching" and banging things around. Freya who thinks she knows best about everything, even more than the experts, refusing to listen to anyone else when she should have got a grip. This book is a definite eye opener to an awful situation that you wouldn't want anyone to have to go through, so this book is worth reading for that alone.