boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Fifth Letter - Nicola Moriarty

A three and a half star rating.
Four best friends from high school in Australia are having some time away together, leaving their partners at home. All of them have a secret or two and one drunken evening they decided it might be fun to each write an anonymous letter revealing something about themselves, but one of them writes an extra one, a bit darker and meaner. One of the group won't rest until she has discovered who the secret letter writer is. Of course like most secrets, the truth will eventually out! Some serious bits, and some lighthearted parts too. None of the women were very likeable and all had a nasty streak. I loved the idea of this novel - could four school friends keep up their very intense relationship into their 30's? On the whole I enjoyed this book, not so much a "whodunnit" but a "who wrote it"!