boudicca

alwaysbooks

Blackwater (Di Nick Lowry) - Henry James

I was given a hardback copy of this book by the publisher and Realreaders.

Prepare yourselves - there's a new Inspector on the loose, albeit one from the early 1980's.  There are some very murky goings on indeed in Colchester and the mudflats on the Essex coast.  Enter Nick Lowry who has to solve the murder mystery and the drug problem, not to mention the state of his marriage to a rather flighty Jacqui.  He has two sidekicks to help him with the police work, WPC Jane Gabriel and DC Dan Kenton.  A great atmospheric start on a dark, foggy night on the mudflats.  I loved all the descriptions of the various places but found it a bit difficult to settle into policing in the 1980's - it seemed like an awful lot of hard work crime solving then!  It also took a bit of time to get used to jumping around to the different locations and characters.  Lowry & Co will become more interesting as we get to know them better in future books.  All in all a very good introduction to a new series, easy to read with some nice characters and some not quite so nice!