boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Exclusives - Rebecca Thornton

Two timescales, 1996 and up to date. Beginning at an expensive boarding school with best friends Freya and Josephine, until something happens one evening. Freya wanted to discuss it but Josephine didn't - end of friendship. The trouble is that sometimes the longer you have to wait for the reveal, the less of an impact it is, which is what happens with this story. It was all a bit tiresome and I thought that some of the events at school were implausible. Neither of the girls were particularly likeable. I liked the cover and the blurb was interesting as was the insight into an all girl boarding school - the petty jealousies and minutiae of life in a closed off environment. I liked the idea for this book and know that lots of people will love it.