boudicca

alwaysbooks

A Notable Woman: The Romantic Journals of Jean Lucey Pratt - Jean Lucey Pratt, Simon Garfield, Simon Garfield

This was an interesting glimpse into the life of a single lady born in 1909, all the way until her death in 1986. How she copes through WW2, work, writing and making ends meet, with no one really to share the highs and lows of life. It is hard not to feel some compassion for her. But I didn't really like her very much - vain, quite selfish with a really high opinion of herself. Besides getting her writing published, her aim in life was to find a husband and failing that a lover and it didn't matter much if he was married or already had a girlfriend. Sadly for her she was born when there was a shortage of men, when women felt they had to be someone's wife. For an intelligent woman she made some silly decisions, especially when it came to her beloved cats whom she let breed as they felt like it, didn't seem to flea them and kept them going far longer than she should have done. Perhaps they did things differently in those days! I did like the book but had to skim read parts of the less interesting bits.