boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Doorkeepers - Graham Masterton

Not my favourite book by this author. Josh's sister Julia has been found in the river Thames in London. So he and his girlfriend Nancy come over from the States to find out how and why she died, only no one has heard from her for months. They discover a world of parallel London, with frightening and sinister people, especially the Hoodsmen who are continually on patrol. There are some horrendous descriptions of torture too, so not for the faint hearted! I'm not a fan of stories where people split up and then keep just missing each other and/or when the other person just has to "go back" to look for the other one hence only 3 stars. I did like the nursery rhyme aspect and the creepy fear aspect as the drums got nearer and nearer - chilling.