boudicca

alwaysbooks

— feeling shocked
Eat Him If You Like - Jean Teulé, Emily Philips

This has to be the worst, most horrible book I have read in a long while because it is a true story and this all happened. I stayed up to finish it and then couldn't sleep for thinking about it. Alain is a decent young man, a good son and happy to help his neighbours and on the 16th of August 1870 he goes off to see the Notary at the fair in Hautefaye (a tiny French village). A few days later he was due to go off to war to help fight the Prussians although he didn't need to as he had a bad leg. Someone misinterpreted what he said and from then on it was mass hysteria from an uncontrollable mob, all egging each other on and sadly the worst ones were those he had helped. This was a truly shocking book, one you don't want to be eating as you read it. So sad.