boudicca

alwaysbooks

Little Black Lies - S.J. Bolton

Young boys are going missing on the Falkland Islands - is there a murderer amongst the islanders? No one wants to believe such a thing possible as they are a close knit group of people. It was nice to see a book set in such an unusual place rather than the large cities we are more used to. There were so many fantastic descriptions of the landscape, seascape, wildlife, what it is like to live there, although things may have changed a bit since 1994 when this book was set. The story is told from the viewpoints of three people, Catrin who sadly lost her own two sons thanks to the carelessness of her once best friend Rachel, and Callum who caught in the war there but decided to stay. I thought most of this was great but it did become a bit repetitive as each of them gave their version of events. Despite that though it was a very enjoyable book which kept me turning the pages till the very end when we find out who was the guilty party!