boudicca

alwaysbooks

Behind Closed Doors - Elizabeth Haynes

Scarlett, her sister, Juliette and parents are in Greece on holiday but on their last night Scarlett is snatched and not seen for another 10 years when she is 25 years old. She has had a harrowing life in the sex trade, being moved from country to country - there is no one to trust, no one to be kind, just one horrible day follows another. Her family were also peculiar. This is a very grim book, well written but could have been better with a little less police jargon and procedure which began to be a bit wearing. There were also too many characters who only seemed to appear in the police internal email. This is the first book I have read by this author and I will definitely read some of her others.