boudicca

alwaysbooks

I Was Not Prepared... - Francine Blanchet

This is a short biography of a 12/13 year old girl who was made to leave school to take care of her mother who had ALS. They lived on a farm in a small village in Quebec which was a life of hard work and toil. Francine was the 2nd youngest of 6 but it was her who had to give up school and her whole life to take care of her deteriorating mother with no outside help or from her siblings who just melted away apart from the odd visit. She had no experience of caring for anybody nor of cooking or household chores. This was in the 1960's and it is to be hoped that things have improved since then and that people would be helped much more. She is to be commended for turning her life around after her mother's death and for giving us a glimpse of what she went through during that time.