boudicca

alwaysbooks

The Other Side of the World - Stephanie Bishop, Penelope Rawlins

It is the harsh winter of 1962/3, Henry and Charlotte are struggling in a poky, damp cottage near Cambridge. They have a sick baby with another expected soon. Henry (a British Indian) hates the cold and wants to emigrate to Australia to get some heat back in his bones but Charlotte doesn't want to go but unwillingly agrees. He is selfish for insisting and she is too for not really trying when she gets there. There was such a sense of yearning in this book - for something that no longer existed. I didn't take to either of these characters but I loved the descriptions of England, Australia and India, the journey. It felt as if you were actually there. The author is very talented with an easy style of writing. I look forward to reading other books by her.