boudicca

alwaysbooks

Settling - Rachel Michael Arends

Jane loses her high flying job, husband Edward's father dies and he wants them to go live in the small town where his family are. Then there is Chastity, a rough kid from a rough trailer park who Jane was briefly friends with when she was younger. Now Chastity is looking for her and so is Mick, Jane's thuggish ex. Jane was exasperating - a high flyer at work yet rather a weakling when it comes to home life and then makes an astonishing decision which was completely out of character. The style of writing was a lot of the time like a YA book which jarred a bit, especially at the beginning of the book. I did like the idea of this story and the description of how suffocating it could be in some neighbourhoods where everyone knows everyone else. I would read something else by this author at a future date.